Culinary Chronicles By Chef Ron Spaziani
Let’s talk about one of my favorite food items, the breakfast sandwich. The glorious breakfast sandwich category can be very simple or an opportunity to get creative.
Imagine a breakfast sandwich. If a plethora of meat options (sausage, bacon, ham, pork roll, spam, the list goes on), breads, eggs and cheese popped into your mind, we’re on the same page.
Traditionally, morning sandwiches were regional specialties up until the rise of fast food breakfast menus. The more widespread the concept became, the crazier chefs became in creating the ultimate breakfast sandwich. Here are 5 of the top contenders across the United States.
1. Estela’s (47 E Houston St, New York) brunch menu offers a breakfast sandwich with sunny side up egg, pancetta, tomato and avocado on a tebirke (Danish poppyseed pastry). This eclectic bistro-style rurant gets their fresh tebirke from Bien Cuit across the river in Brooklyn.
2. Meat Cheese Bread’s (1406 SE Stark, Portland) ‘Maple’ breakfast menu item is an exquisite meat, cheese & bread combo created by Chef John Stewart. The sandwich features sausage patty, melted chipotle-cheddar cheese and shaved fennel housed in slices of fresh maple-currant bread pudding.
3. Jam’s (2853 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago) ‘Egg Sandwich’ breakfast sandwich is loaded with slow cooked tender pork-shoulder, over-easy eggs, ricotta salata, smeared with plum preserve– and of course a side of roasted fingerling potatoes.
4. Noble Sandwich Co.’s (4805 Burnet Rd, Austin) PBLT Sandwich is an Austin inspired masterpiece. The hefty breakfast favorite features smoked pork belly, a few leaves of romaine lettuce, roasted tomato and garlic mayo. Of course, we suggest you splurge for the fried egg.
5. Denver Biscuit Company (3237 E Colfax Ave, Denver) brought southern style biscuits to Denver. The hot spot celebrates breakfast sandwiches with drool worthy menu items like The Dahlia: housemade sausage patty, apple butter, fried egg and maple syrup. If the biscuit buns aren’t enough you can build it on biscuit french toast.
This photo of Denver Biscuit Company is courtesy of TripAdvisor
Join your peers today!
Get the latest articles, news and trends in the Food & Beverage industry delivered directly to your inbox. Don't miss out! Enter your email address below to receive the weekly in-sight newsletter.
I'm still digesting everything learned at Expo West, and then mix in the...
In the second part of our Natural Products Expo West coverage, we take a look at...