Fall and Winter…There’s something about this time of the year that makes it extra pleasurable to indulge in one of your favorite cocktails to warm you up and escape from the cold. With the changing seasons comes changing menus for New York’s top cocktail bars. NYC’s best are now well into their “cold weather” menus, trading out the light and refreshing flavors of summer for warm and cozy flavors of the fall and winter.
The Symrise team recently took a trek around Manhattan and Brooklyn as new fall/winter menus debuted around the city to sample the new cocktail concepts and compile trending flavors. We made stops at some NYC classics (Apotheke, Maison Premiere) as well as some of the city’s top newcomers (Black Tail). Overall, one thing was clear; New York is still the capital of creative, high quality cocktails.
Below is our list of the Top 10 Cocktail Trends for Fall/Winter from New York City:
1. Vegetative Flavors: Sweet corn, fennel, basil, carrot, beet, tomato and celery
2. Heat: Black pepper, white pepper, peppercorn, sriracha, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, ghost pepper, cayenne and Cholula hot sauce.
3. Mouthfeel Enhancers: Egg white, mascarpone, yogurt, milk, cream, brown butter
4. Brown Notes: Maple syrup, cacao nibs, Tonka beans, pecan, chocolate, chai
5. Teas: green tea, black tea, herbal teas
6. Honey: raw honey, honey syrup, floral notes
7. Smoke: Mescal, smoked pepper, charcoal
8. Culinary: Savory cocktails, garlic, roasting
9. Spirit Mashups: Rum+Scotch, Rum+Gin, Gin+Tequila, Bourbon+Rum, Pisco+Rum
10. Trending Fruits: Pineapple, pear, apricot
Check out the SlideShare below for more information about the bars we visited and the trending flavors that showed up for autumn/winter 2016-2017.